The Ethical Board of the Institute of Ethnology and Social Anthropology SAS as an auxiliary body of the director deals with ethical issues related to the scientific and research activities of staff members, from the choice of research topic to the consequences of the compilation and publishing of research results.
Its activities are based primarily on the Code of Ethics of the Ethnographic Society of Slovakia, the Code of Ethics of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, and other basic standards of ethical behaviour at the SAS workplaces. The members of the Ethical Board are: Chairperson of the Academic Board of the IESA SAS, Head of the Information and Documentation Department of the IESA SAS, the employee in charge of the doctoral study agenda, Editor-in-Chief of the Slovak Ethnology journal, and another member appointed by the Director. The term of office of the members is identical to the term of office of their positions, which entitles them to membership in the Board. The Chairperson and Secretary are elected by the members of the Board.
- The Ethical Board prepares and approves the documents necessary for the creation of (or documents that are part of) the ethical design of proposals for scientific research projects carried out within the IESA SAS (informed consent, etc.).
- Upon request, the Ethical Board comments on and approves the ethical design of research projects.
- Upon request, the Ethical Board assists in dealing with “ad hoc” ethical issues that may arise during the conduct of research projects.
- The Ethical Board deals with suggestions by the IESA SAS staff relating to the violation of basic ethical rules of scientific work, the Code of Ethics of the Ethnographic Society of Slovakia, the Code of Ethics of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, and generally applicable legislative standards (e.g., Act No. 18/2018 on Personal Data Protection, and EU Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council, commonly known as the GDPR).
- The Ethical Board assesses the ethical design of doctoral projects.